Sunday, October 6, 2013

Daily 5: Word Work

I'm linking up with First Grade in Foxwell Forest to talk about Daily 5!



This month's linky is all about Word Work!

First of all, if you have not ready The Daily 5, I recommend that you get the book and read it!  It is a quick and easy read!  


When I first implemented Daily 5, I searched all over Pinterest for ideas on how to organize it.  Everyone has their own twist on it.  I tried a few different ways and found that a board works the best for me!
Here is a picture of my Daily 5 board:

 Each child is assigned a "secret agent number" for the year.  I change the numbers on the board daily to indicate which activities they will do during our guided reading block.  Students go to the activity closest to their number first, then after 25 minutes they switch to activity opposite their number.

I begin introducing Word Work on the first day of school.  I show the kids how to find materials and use them appropriately. Then we practice doing an activity together.  We practice, practice, practice while we build stamina on working independently.  Each day, I ask my kids to tell me something that worked well at Daily 5 and then we share things that didn't go so well.  We then work together to problem solve.  This really helps the kids take ownership in what they are doing and they are better able to remember what to do if a problem arises. 

Here is how I organized the Word Work activities:


Each bucket is labeled with the activity and a corresponding number.  I have all the materials that are needed for the activity in the bucket, along with a completed model for the kids to refer to (I usually take the page that I completed when introducing the activity and put it in a plastic sleeve.)  Each child has a Daily 5 folder with a checklist inside.  Each morning, they look at the checklist to see what activity they need to complete.  In the beginning of the year, students choose one of 12 activities.  Students must do the five word wall words of the week (We call these "Must Do Words!").  Then, they may choose any other words on the word wall to practice.

Here are some of the activities:

Stamp A Word



Hidden Words



Boggle


Word Steps



Are you looking for some new Word Work activities?  Or are you just getting started with Daily 5?  I have just the thing for you! 

Click HERE to get this!
 This packet includes 12 activities, labels for bins, student checklist, and teacher checklist!
Activities include:
Word Steps
Hidden Words
Cell Phone
Scrabble
Word Work Sentences
Rainbow Words
Boggle
Roll A Word
ABC Order
Word Shapes
Stamp A Word
Secret Code

As the year goes on, I may change the activities to meet the needs of my students or to reinforce skills that we are working on in class.  The kids love to play Roll and Read to work on reading fluency!  I have three to choose from sight word, CVC words, and CVCe words!
  
Click HERE to get this!





Click HERE to get this!
I'd love to hear what you do for Word Work!





















1 comment:

  1. Hi Kristen!
    Just found you through Becca's Daily 5 Linky!
    I love your Word Work materials! The hidden words look so fun!
    Thanks so much for sharing,
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete