Tuesday, July 16, 2013

DIY: Glitter Magnets

 
Do I consider myself a “crafty” person?  Not really.  I don’t have a craft room or do crafts on a regular basis. I do have a box o’ craft supplies.  I guess you can say that I dabble in craftiness.

While scrolling through pins on pinterest I came across some very sparkly glitter magnets. You can see the original post HERE.  I thought they would look fabulous on my white board and looked relatively easy to make.  I thought I would give it whirl.  I made a list of materials and ran to Hobby Lobby.

Materials:
Clear flat back 'marbles.’ The glass domes you can find at the craft store or dollar store.  ***They must have flat bottoms!

 
Mod Podge
E6000 Glue
 

Glitter of your choice (I liked using the fine glitter the best)
 

Strong magnets
Q-tips (for glue)
 
Newspaper
 
Paper Plates
 
Foam brush/small paint brush (optional)
 
 

STEPS:  

1.      Cover work surface with newspaper.  I then put one paper plate on top of the newspaper for each color glitter.

2.     Grab a marble flat side up.  This is where you want to put the Mod Podge. 

3.     Use your finger to spread a SMALL amount of Mod Podge on the flat side of the marble.  You can use a brush/foam brush but I found that my finger worked best.

4.     Lay them on the paper plate(s).  Lay out as many as you want for each color.
 
 
 
5.     Sprinkle generously with glitter.  I found that sprinkling was the best method.  I also tried dipping the magnet in the glitter but found that it was A.) messier and B.) didn’t cover as nicely.
 
 

6.    Repeat steps 2-5 for each color that you want to do.

7.     Let dry for about 3 hours.
 
8.     Put a small dot of E6000 glue on the bottom of the magnet. I have never used this glue before…..  It was super messy and oozed out of the tube. I squeezed a dollop of glue on a paper plate and used a Q-tip to apply the glue.  This helped me to control the ooziness.
 
    Side note:  When looking for glue at Hobby Lobby, I wanted strong glue so the marble would not fall off the magnet. (***Remember, I only DABBLE in craftiness….  I am learning as I go!)   The lady at Hobby Lobby said E6000 would do the trick!  We’ll see! 
 
 

9.    Place *Sparkly* marble on top of glue.
 
 

10.   Let dry 3 hours or so.

Viola! SPARKLINESS! 
 
 
If I can do it, you can do it! 

 
What have you been crafting for the classroom?

1 comment:

  1. You have inspired me! I must try this-they look great!

    ReplyDelete